Every week in Los Angeles there are tons of great things to do (even before the weekend gets started) that we think you ought to have on your radar. With that in mind, we put together a list every Monday morning to keep you in the know about what’s happening in the city you love (or maybe just like).
This week, from Monday, Jan. 9 to Friday, Jan. 13, features the LA Art Show, dineLA, a ‘Night Out’ of Comedy with Time Out LA, the DTLA Art Walk, Photo LA at The Reef , and LOTS more.
Hope you find the rundown useful and, as always, enjoy your week!
Monday January 9th, 2017
1. Moonlight Rollerway will host a David Bowie Tribute Skate Night featuring DJ-spun tunes from Bowie’s catalog to honor the iconic rocker this Monday.
2. Santa Monica Restaurant Week will take place from Jan. 9 to 15 and will feature 21 of the area’s best restaurants showcasing the beach city’s vibrant food scene through one selected ingredient. This year’s star ingredient is the radish!
3. Hot Tub With Kurt & Kristen at The Virgil. The Dec. 9 lineup features Wil Anderson, Kate Berlant, Jonathan Burns, Andrew Michaan, Andy Peters, and Ramon Rivas II.
4. Catch L.A.’s longest running weekly burlesque show Monday Night Tease at Three Clubs in Hollywood on Mondays. DISCOUNTED (via Goldstar)
5. The city of Pasadena will host Cheeseburger Week with 40 restaurants in participation offering burger specials all over the city from Jan. 8 to Jan 13.
6. Free screening of Nocturnal Animals followed by Q&A with screenwriter director Tom Ford, costume designer Arianne Phillips, composer Abel Korzeniowski at The Theatre at Ace Hotel. FREE
8. Runway Playa Vista presents Music Mondays a free weekly concert and music series. This week they are hosting an Indie Night. FREE
Tuesday January 10th, 2017
9. Play Indiana Jones for a day with Escape Room LA: The Cavern. Find clues and solve puzzles to get your hands on a lost civilization’s ancient treasures hundreds of feet below Downtown Los Angeles! DISCOUNTED (via Goldstar)
10. Rogue One: A Star Wars Story screens at the El Capitan Theatre in Hollywood. Check out production props, models, costumes and more. There will also be a Stormtrooper meet-and-greet before the movie! Happening all week. DISCOUNTED (via Goldstar)
11. The Alchemist’s Lab is an escape room experience putting you right in the shoes of a junior detective at Scotland Yard in the 19th century. Do you have what it takes to uncover the devious plans of the alchemist? Happening Tuesday and Friday. DISCOUNTED (via Goldstar)
12. L.A. Urban Adventures invites you to relive Old Hollywood by taking a stroll down the Hollywood Walk of Fame while stopping to hear stories about historic spots, sample drinks made famous during the Golden Age and try out local street food. DISCOUNTED (via Goldstar)
13. Amélie the Oscar-nominated French film is now a new musical. The pre-Broadway production is taking place at the Ahmanson all week. Check for discounted tickets before making your purchase. DISCOUNTED (via Goldstar)
14. The Lincoln Center Theater production of The King and I comes to the Hollywood Pantages. Happening Tuesday through Friday. DISCOUNTED (via Goldstar)
16. The Lincoln presents “For the Record,” a weekly series where guests bring in their own vinyl for a unique DJ set from 7 p.m. to 2 a.m. This week’s theme is “So 80’s”. FREE
17. Free admission days this Tuesday for: Autry National Center of the American West and LACMA.
Wednesday January 11th, 2017
18. Feast your eyes on some amazing art collections from all over the world! The 2017 LA Art Show comes to the Los Angeles Convention Center from Jan. 11 through Jan. 15 for their annual civic celebration of the visual arts.
19. The Brand Library in Glendale is hosting POPUP!, a series of music workshops this month open to teens and adults alike. While they are free, a donation of $5 is suggested.
20. A Night With Time Out will have some of the city’s most promising comics at the Downtown Independent Theater this Wednesday.
21. Frankie’s Private Bar, the ultra-glamorous rooftop drinkery atop West Hollywood’s E.P.&L.P., celebrates the release of their new special-edition tiki mugs during a special evening called “Where Tiki Lives.” The launch party will feature classic tiki drinks all evening, and complimentary passed chicken sliders from 7 to 8 p.m.
22. The Pasadena Museum of California Art is currently having a special on admission through Goldstar where tickets are complementary with a $3 service fee (tickets usually cost $7 a person.) See current exhibits by Llyod Hamrol, Joan Perlman and a 90 painting show on California coast culture titled: In the Land of Sunshine. The promo runs throughout the week and weekend for the next few weeks. DISCOUNTED (via Goldstar)
23. Radio Picture Show , a monthly storytelling event, is back at The Virgil this week with tales inspired by songs and images.
Thursday January 12th, 2017
24. Head to the biggest art walk in our city! The DTLA Art Walk will also curate an exhibition entitled “We The People” an art event featuring submissions by local artists regarding the challenges currently impacting our country’s social and political landscape. FREE
25. Harry Potter Burlesque, Chamber of the Dirty Little Secrets will take the stage at Harvelle’s in Long Beach this Friday. Tickets to the show are $12, and no one under 21 is allowed. Check for discounted tickets before making your purchase. DISCOUNTED (via Goldstar)
26. The Virus: An Immersive Escape Room Experience happening Saturday through Sunday. DISCOUNTED (via Goldstar)
27. Spend a day at the races with the Farriers Package at Santa Anita Race Tracks. The package includes admission to the races, box seating and a racing program, along with a pint of local craft beer. Happening Thursday and Friday. DISCOUNTED (via Goldstar)
28. Thrones!, a hilarious musical parody of Game of Thrones is playing at The Hudson Theatres in Hollywood Thursday and Friday. DISCOUNTED (via Goldstar)
29. Throwback Thursdays at NoHo cinema screens Time Bandits this week. DISCOUNTED (via Goldstar)
30. Free admission days this Thursday for: MOCA Grand & MOCA Geffen, Skirball Cultural Center, Japanese American National Museum and Long Beach Museum of Art.
Friday January 13th, 2017
31. In need of some visual inspiration? Look no further than Photo LA. Returning to The REEF/LA Mart for its 26th edition, this photographic exhibition celebrates photography and how it fits within the realm of fine art. Check for discounted tickets before making your purchase. DISCOUNTED (via Goldstar)
32. dineLA Restaurant Week is back from Jan. 13 through Jan. 27. More than just a week, dineL.A. offers food-lovers two straight weeks to taste, explore, and enjoy various prix-fixe menus from top restaurants across Los Angeles.
33. Every Friday of January, Greenbar Distillery in Downtown Los Angeles will host cocktail classesfeaturing seasonal and themed drinks. This weeks theme is Seasonal Cocktails.
34. Learn the history of Mexico and its vibrant food and drink traditions with a cultural experience at La Experiencia Agave hosted at The Knotted Apron cooking school in Whittier. Tickets start at $75 a person.
35. Andrew’s Cheese Shop in Santa Monica is hosting a Grilled Cheese & Beer Night this Friday featuring a six-course meal four of which are grilled-cheese sandwiches. Tickets cost $60 a person.
36. Redondo Beach Restaurant Week takes place from Jan. 13 to 27, and will feature 14 eateries from the beach city’s burgeoning food scene. All participating restaurants will offer either specially priced prix-fixe lunches and/or dinners, or other Restaurant Week-only specials.
38. Free admission days this Friday for: Long Beach Museum of Art.
Article by We Like LA.